Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Marines

In his disappointment of not being accepted to the Reserve Corps, it seems Herb got over the aversion to the four year term with the Marines, but he is still a little hesitant. I suspect that is not a unique feeling.

I discovered a little more about Fred Judson: in researching Herb's income from the Case, Pomeroy & Co. I saw that Fred's name is also on the top of the letterhead with that of Case and Pomeroy. A young partner, it would seem.


Makes me wonder when Fred decided to join the Mosquito fleet and what he worked out with the firm.

Looks as though the $30/month that Herb mentions is pretty good. I mean, his salary with Case Pomery doesn't seem to be much different. This letter is from July, so much later than the letter home.

Wednesday – date unknown, perhaps May 1917
Dear Mother,

I applied this morning for the Marine Corps and was turned down on account of my front teeth. I then tried the army and passed the examination but wasn’t sworn in because I wouldn’t agree to go to-morrow. So I am free for the time being but they have my name and the description of my physical condition so they’ll probably send for me anyway. I was in to see Charley. He congratulated me and said he was proud of me. So did Friedman. To-morrow I’m going to Mineola to see if I can get in the Signal Corps as a regular private - $30 a month You see I’m free now to enlist where I want to but I’ll have to enlist or they will make it uncomfortable for me, having gone so far. At any rate I’m sure I’m right.

I think the Signal Corps is a good place. They aren’t under fire much, only by accident, but they do a lot of real work. I’ll write again to-morrow night + let you know all about it. I’ll be home Saturday or Sunday as I’m straightening out my affairs in the office.

Love,
Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment