Friday, June 13, 2014

Ahhhh, maybe not fighting for humanitarian reasons....

I may have gotten this letter out of order - I will need to spend more time reflecting upon the content to figure out where it goes in sequence.

I don't know what a statistician is doing working on the Interborough Rapid Transit Co. - though maybe they desire to issue bonds, so Herb is working on that. The NYC subway was privately owned until June 1940, and this was the private company which built the system which opened in 1904. Wow, can you imagine what the subway was like when it was clean and new?

Fred Judson, remember, is on the letterhead of the company and has joined the Mosquito Fleet. Though not a family member, it might be fun to learn more about him.


Sunday – date unknown, but perhaps May 1917

Dear Family,

Kimber and I have just returned from a stroll through the park. It’s a beautiful day and the park was lovely – but the people. Honestly, we felt like foreigners. The place was full of Jews who come with their lunches and spend the day.

Well, the draft is coming. I won’t register because I won’t have to, but if we really are going to send troops across and it certainly looks like it, I’m going to enlist.

Mr. Friedman and I have been working until after eleven o’clock at night this week finishing up a study of the Interborough Rapid Transit Co. I certainly was glad when we finished it yesterday.

Fred Judson went to join his crew Tuesday. He was in for a while Saturday, looking very much sunburned. The boat hasn’t put to sea yet. They were only getting things in shape and taking on supplies.

I haven’t seen much of Charlie the past week – only once or twice for a few minutes chat. He has been very busy, too.

Jane Parker has a position with Banker’s Trust Co. She starts work tomorrow.

Charlie and Grace have been scouring the country lately looking for a house but haven’t had any luck yet.

I haven’t been up to see Edith in a long time so I think I’ll try to get up some night this week.

I think the reason why I didn’t get in on Plattsburgh is my age. Steve Lee was a year back of me in college but he is twenty-four. Phike Morris is twenty-five.

That’s the only reason I can think of because I was pronounced physically fit and I think I’m intelligent enough.

Friedman tells me to wait but he’s one of these people who think there won’t be any fighting for America to do. Anyway you couldn’t expect much else from him because he hasn’t any red blood in his veins any way.

I won’t do anything for a couple of weeks anyway and before I do I’ll come up and stay a few days.

Love to all,
Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment