Thursday, June 26, 2014

Photographs

I believe I may have 3 of the photographs Herb mentions, though I can only put my hands on two at the moment. Interestingly, they are slightly different from one another - they have been colored or shaded, it seems. (Found the third photograph!)

I don't know who this Marine might be.

And still no more about this Karolyn!

Wednesday (August 15), 1917
Dear Mother,

I arrived back from NY this morning about 5:30 so I’m pretty sleepy especially as I put in the day on the sanitary police squad – cleaning up around the grounds.

I had a very fine visit with Charlie and Grace. I reached the house Monday night about ten and we had a fine talk then. In the morning I went over to the city with Charlie and went in to the office. Mr. Pomeroy was out of town on a vacation and Mr. Case was not in. Mr. Case has been away a lot lately which is probably the reason that you didn’t receive he check sooner. Went out to lunch with Mr. Friedman. Right after lunch I went back to Jersey. Bill what’s his name and Blanche were there for supper and stayed all night. You know the couple I mean. He went to Stevens and was a great boyhood friend of Charlie’s. I left about 1 o’clock and had to wait most 2 hours in Jersey City for the 2:20 to Allentown.

I had a half dozen photographs ordered in N.Y. He took four poses so one of them should turn out all right. I wanted them in time for Mothers birthday but it couldn’t be done. I ordered one sent to Charlie’s, one to Karolyn and the other four to you. I suppose you’d better give one to Aunt Ada and one to Aunt Burdella. Pass them around as far as they’ll go.

I had my last paratyphoid inoculation to day. Nothing left now but small pox vaccination. Tomorrow my heart and lungs will be examined by experts. They are going over all the men in camp looking for T.B.

That picture of Marine wasn’t focused very well, was it. Still I was very glad to get it. Did she pick out that pose herself.

I can’t figure out how Frank Bergen got by the examining board. They seem to be making little tin gods out of the drafted men, don’t they. I guess it’s that way in every city. The volunteers aren’t even mentioned.

We were paid Monday afternoon. Just in time since I wanted to go to New York.

As you know Karolyn has always wanted to be a nurse. Since she can’t get a school her father’s objections don’t hold water. She tried to get in the Albany Hospital a couple of months ago but there were no openings. She could get in at Bridgeport and its more or less like home to her there. All her father’s and mother’s people live there.

Love to all
Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment