Saturday, June 14, 2014

rough necks vs. clean and gentlemanly

The letters have been sporadic and we seem to jump to June. I have another stack of letters but they seem to be much later, though I need to go through them and see what I find. I confess, scanning is a lot of work. My third cousin did tell me that Charlie & Grace's wedding was on the 21st of June; this is the Sunday following.

It seems so funny that these guys bring their own clothing and things. When did everything change and we outfit our military? Seems logical to have everyone in 'uniform' clothing, but I guess it was the same in the Civil War - go with what you had and defend your country/lifestyle/beliefs.

I should think we all would love to own real estate at 10th Avenue and 20th Street now - though then I guess it was by the active piers; rough necks is probably a very apt term - or are rough necks people who work on oil and gas rigs? It's only a couple blocks north of the Chelsea Market where the Oreo cookie was invented.

And what is lowery? I looked at it a couple times but couldn't make it out and Google doesn't recognize it other than a proper name. I have been known to be obtuse, though, so if anyone else can figure it out....

Sunday (perhaps June 24, 1917)

Dear Mother,

I have been here ten days to-day. Last night I went down town and treated myself to a regular meal – the first meal I’ve had in Allentown outside of the mess hall. Lord knows the meals are not what one gets at home but I suppose I shouldn’t kick because I’ve gained five pounds since I’ve been here.

To-morrow I expect to get a uniform if nothing happens. When I do I will send to you everything I bought with me in the clothing line except one soft shirt and my handkerchiefs. I’ll get three suits of underwear, socks etc. so I will not needs those which I brought.

I was glad to hear that you prevailed upon Edith to go to the wedding. It would have been too bad if she had stayed away. You didn’t say how Grace looked. I was wondering if she had powdered her nose. Charlie hates to have her do it but she always looks like the dickens without it. I knew you’d like Jane. She’s an awfully good sort.

By the way, I expected that after to-morrow I will be a member of Section 49 instead of Section 80. Pretty near all the good men from 80 have left to join friends in other section and there are about eight truck drivers in the section from around 10th Ave and 20th St. N.Y. – awful rough necks whom I am ashamed to be seen with. A chap from the Section 49 asked me to join them to take the place of a chap who was rejected for a weak heart and after seeing the rest of the section I asked permission to do so. They are practically all college men and at any rate they are all clean and gentlemanly, which is more that you can say for the truck drivers in 80.

The weather holds fine. Remarkably Friday was a bit lowery (?) but it all passed over in a couple of fiver minute showers.

I get a cold bath about every day and am beginning to enjoy them, but I’ll be blessed if I like to shave in it. Still I have no choice.

Here are now close to 4000 men here and they are busy building extra barracks – only temporary canvas affair – for about a thousand more.

I rather think you have Karolyn dropping in to see you some afternoon soon – she said something about it in her last letter. She is knitting me one of those dark grey Red Cross sweaters to keep herself busy. They are those affairs with low-necks + no sleeves something like a jersey but they’re heavier and the openings are smaller. Lots of fellows here in camp have them.

Love to all,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment