Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Oaxacan Carpets

The other day when we were having tornado warnings here in New Orleans I decided to do some uncluttering, as I needed to unplug my computer (and other electronics). I sorted through some of the pieces of paper I have collected for this blog, but never gotten around to writing.

I confess I tossed a number of business cards and ephemera of other artists because they no longer spoke to me. Writing their stories no longer 'sparked joy', but not these cards... I still wanted to share these fiber artists with my readers.





I met the artists, Wence and Sandra Martinez, at the Smithsonian Craft show a couple years ago. On their web site they call that very show "the holy grail of juried national craft shows."

Their work reminded me of my time in Oaxaca because I bought myself a carpet while I was in Mexico.

Coincidentally that same afternoon, when turning my computer back on, I decided to unclutter some of my computer files, too, and came across some photos from my trip to Oaxaca back before 2008 or so. I swear, I did not go looking for them.

There was a confluence of images, which made me realize it was time to write this entry.

These images are poor quality because they were not taken digitally, they are photos that I scanned.

That's my rug, right there. The artists are finishing up my very carpet. (It's not like I commissioned the carpet... and it was a total impulse buy/souvenir.)



I love that you can see some of the other rugs they have in their studio. You can see, too, that I like bright colors... brighter than the more traditional colors. I love that carpet. It always makes me happy.



The town was very small. I hope all the weavers benefit from the success that the Martinez's are having.

PS - Happy birthday to both my Dad and my very good friend, Derek.

No comments:

Post a Comment