Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Another book/story idea...

I started this post back in June while I was reading that book on Race and The Americanization of Louisiana. I was flabbergasted by the idea of kidnapping one's pesky, embarrassing relatives and shipping them off to The New World. One contributor - forgive my lack of reference - indicated that: "By 1719, deportation to Louisiana was considered a convenient way of getting rid of troublesome neighbors or family members " (p. 62)

I thought one might use that scenario as a basis for a pretty interesting story line.

Which of course makes me think about that recent article about there only being 6 different emotional arcs in story lines:
The six basic emotional arcs are these:

A steady, ongoing rise in emotional valence, as in a rags-to-riches story such as Alice’s Adventures Underground by Lewis Carroll. A steady ongoing fall in emotional valence, as in a tragedy such as Romeo and Juliet. A fall then a rise, such as the man-in-a-hole story, discussed by Vonnegut. A rise then a fall, such as the Greek myth of Icarus. Rise-fall-rise, such as Cinderella. Fall-rise-fall, such as Oedipus.



So, what story would we create? I imagine Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire... Brad Pitt was pesky... and then I imagine a prostitute made good... I imagine these people being second sons of landed gentry... I imagine emptied prisons.... shall we pick a Jean Valjean character and a new story-line? Set with Jazz and oysters? I don't know... a creative individual could come up with something.

No comments:

Post a Comment