Thursday, August 4, 2016

Researching Oliver Lee in the Troy, NY Newspapers

Clearly being a letter carrier was a huge part of Oliver Lee's identity - in stark contrast with the Millenial archetype who lives for balance and recreation. Of the lucky times we find Oliver in newspapers, they are all about his profession. A couple articles have his image, which is always a tremendous find.

I have the fifty-year gold card mentioned in this article. Can I express in no uncertain terms how grateful I am for my great aunts that they saved these things? The card is about the size of a modern day business card. It is not made of gold... gold tone, shall we say?

I need to learn what is available at the National Archives for information on postal carriers. Someday maybe I will follow that lead...

Too bad there is no more information about Oliver in this article... now we move on to planning the dinner dance. I wonder if his daughters were in attendance along with wife Nellie Jane? Did he invite his sons to come? I believe he was living in Yonkers with his daughter Olive when this celebration took place. How dressed up did he get? Did the family agonize over what they would wear? Was this a big deal because they were humble people? Did he buy his wife a corsage so she would look pretty and feel special as he got his recognition? Did he have trouble walking? Was he called to a stage or merely to stand at his place? Did he end up drunk at the end of the meal? (Man, I am cruel, aren't I? But I am just imagining the possibilities.)

Postal Men Honor Oliver Lee
Add caption
This next photograph appeared in the paper 6 years after Oliver's death. I guess it was in the paper because it was 50 years after the photograph was taken. I wish I knew how to highlight Oliver in the photographs for you, my readers.

Who submitted this photograph to the newspaper? Is there a letter carrier archive in Troy? Is there one proud letter carrier who has saved all this stuff? Man, I really need to spend more time on this.

Oliver Lee as a postal carrier in 1900

And there is absolutely no way to see him in this group, but he is called out by name, so someone liked him enough to do so.

Oliver Lee was clearly active and proud of his profession

No comments:

Post a Comment