Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Making a flouncy skirt


I bought a very flouncy skirt years ago in Jackson, WY. I never wear it; I paid a lot of money for it. I'm not even sure I love it... I love the idea of it, though. And I have saved it for years just so that I might copy it and make one myself.

I figured the best skirt to make from this skirt would be a Mardi Gras skirt. It's almost costume like, I figured. And it's great skirt to dance in... particularly with my fleur de lis cowboy boots! Of course once I got to the quilting shop I was overwhelmed by all the fabric choices... and then wandered away from the Mardi Gras fabrics. I tried to stay within the Purple, Gold and Green theme, but I wandered away from that, too, I confess. So I am not sure what this skirt is that I am making or when I would wear it. Perhaps when I go Zydeco dancing at the Rock 'n' Bowl. Other dancers would appreciate the Mardi Gras fabric and the wonderful effects the skirt would make when dancing.


I guess I need to work on impulse control. (Story of my life!)

In any event, I have created the first five tiers and I have another three to go. This feels like it has taken a huge amount of fabric - a lot of time gathering the fabric to get smaller and smaller as I go up the skirt to the waist. But really I am using what is known as 'Fat Squares' from the quilt shop. I posted here from my trip to Mes Amis with the fabric I bought for this skirt.

I think rather than just gathering I may have to cut the fabric on an angle to cinch it even more drastically. I will post again on this project as I progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment