Monday, May 9, 2016

German Family Research

My grandmother privately published a book called Our Heritage in 1955. I found many of the books she used as source material, including a book entitled Our Colonial and Continental Ancestors: The Ancestry of Mr. and Mrs. Louis William Dommerich.

I confess I haven't studied the bibliography of that book; I have a terribly reproduced copy of the book, though an aunt has an original book, so I might go ahead and check there.

However, my grandmother claims that a Dommerich married a Heusinger von Waldegg. I am trying to make/document that connection. I have been using the resources of a German Genealogy Facebook page and when asking questions I did get a mildly snarky answer that 'family stories are fun, but rarely is there any truth.' Now, why would one need to say something like that? BUT, it seems that perhaps the von Waldegg is a royal line.... hence the snarkiness. Though I did not know that, of course. And, I haven't yet documented the connection, so perhaps my grandmother was trying for a royal line! Though she never, ever said anything to me about it, nor to any of my relatives, and if it were a fun family story, then I should have gotten to enjoy some of that fun, right?

I was kindly pointed to a website which had the line, with names similar though spelled differently, that brought me down to exactly the point I needed to be, the parents of the bride, Johanne Katharine Heusinger von Waldegg, but this web site claims no children sprang from the union! Ha! So no little Johanne to marry lonely little Christoph Carl Dommerich!

Unfortunately my German in nonexistent... so I don't know what this website is. How reliable is the information contained in this web site? I have posed the question to a fellow user of the Facebook group and hopefully I will get an answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment