Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Bored out of his mind.... But thinking about home

Here is Nagem, Luxembourg. The town looks very pretty, but I can certainly see why it would not appeal to a 21 year old soldier. Nothing doing but those milk cows!

Photo taken from here


Olive was born in December 1904, so she would have been fourteen in 1918... right?
Olive - though date unknown

So, who is Aunt Anna? I have no idea.... is Aunt an honorary title, like for Aunt Berdella?

January 7, 1919
Dearest Mother,

Your letter of December 8th came to-day. That will give you a pretty true idea of the mail service these days. It is really worse now than it has ever been.

I had been thinking of Olive’s birthday – and Dad’s – and wondering whether Olive would be fourteen or fifteen. To save me I couldn’t decide which was right. I was quite sure she would be fourteen until I took another look at the pictures you sent me and then I decided that fifteen would be nearer the truth. I expect that I’ll scarcely know her when I get back.

There is still no news about demobilization. We haven’t moved so far from Nagem, Luxembourg though there is a rumor around that we are to go back into France with the Division. I put no faith in rumors anymore.

All chances of seeing Mr. Rankin’s friend in Paris are over. Several extra companies of Mr. P’s have been assigned there and it is as much of your life is worth to set foot there without special authority. Since one can’t get the special authority, chances are pretty slim. One man in the section went there on permission to stay with his brother who is connected with the Red Cross. He was picked up as his leave ended and given ten days with a prisoner’s working squad near Paris while his case was being investigated. He got back here finally but has no more desire to visit Paris. So I think the day I had in Paris on my way back from permission will have to suffice me.

This last week I have had a card from Mrs. Nial + one from Aunt Anna and a letter from Nellie Graham. Also one package of 4th class. Printed rather used to come in pretty well but now when we need it so badly it’s even more irregular than the first class matter. Still, it does come eventually and is very, very welcome when it arrives. Time hangs pretty heavy on everyone’s hands around here, though the natives appear to be used to it. Where they get the ambition to stick it year in and year out I don’t know. I suppose the habit grows on them.

I’m in my usual good health – not even a cold to complain of. The weather continues bad – very bad. There has been just one halfway decent day since Thanksgiving. And there isn’t another blessed thing to write about.

Best love to you all
Your affectionate son,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment