Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Cock of Verdun

Cock of Verdun

I found the insignia at the National Archives in College Park, MD. Apparently a few ideas were considered:



We have already met Herb Blake on a previous permission.

If Herb walks, we have a couple routes:



I once worked in Saint Dizier when I was working on an internship - one can see the town to the west on the map. A manufacturing town with some fine dining near by... but this was back in the 90's.

January 30, 1919
Dearest Mother + all,

The greater part of the Division left today en route for Colmar Alsace, not far from the Rhine. It included all the troops but one regiment and all the horse drawn vehicles, all of which go by train. The motor vehicles, including the Section, start by road February 4th. It will be a two days trip by road, I think and probably very interesting. It will be a cold trip, of course, because the weather is quite brisk lately, but we all have lots of clothes + blankets to wrap up in. at any rate, I should be willing to walk if necessary for the sake of getting out of the Grand Duchy.

I had a very nice letter from Aunt Birdella a few days ago in reply to one I wrote back in December I think.

Tom wrote me from Syracuse and posted me on all available news about the boys I used to know. Of course they were practically all in the Service, are yet, I suppose and we’re all out of touch. I’d like especially to know where Kimber and Morris are (they were with me at 193 Sterling Place, you know) and Steve Lee who was working in the City before he went to Plattsburgh.

Your letters of January 6th and 10th came together three days ago. Also two bundles of papers, which I was very glad to get.

I can’t understand why you always get my mail in batches. I don’t write my letters on that system. But then there are plenty of incomprehensible things about the army.

For the next week at least we shan’t get any mail. The mail follows the Division Headquarters and since for a week or so we shan’t be in touch with HQ we’ll just be out of luck. All sorts of little things seem like calamities since the Armistice.

I haven’t heard from either Mr. Friedman or from Charlie in several weeks. I imagine they’re both very busy.

I heard a rumor about Herb Blake’s being married some time ago though I don’t know just where. Evidently it’s true.

It looks as if I would have a chance to go on a permission again before coming home. I’m not crazy about the idea but if the opportunity offers I shall take it. It will break the monotony for two or three weeks.

I put on my second service stripe this week, with a sincere hope that it may be the last. Two are quite enough.

The Ambulance Service has at last been recognized as being something different from the Medical Department. The insignia adopted is a white “Cock of Verdun” on a circular maroon background to be worn on the left sleeve at the shoulder somewhat as the various divisional insignia. It’s only fair to distinguish the USAAS from the hospital attendants. What with service stripes, chevrons and all my sleeves will be nearly full.

With best to all
Your affectionate son,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment