Saturday, January 16, 2016

Such good information about The French Army Division Herb is stationed with

I had to look up the Rainbow Division (I have attached a link below):

On April 6, 1917, the United States Congress declared war on the German Empire and entered the Great War. In the rush to mobilize troops, individual states competed with each other for the honor to be the first to send their National Guard units into combat. Secretary of War Newton D. Baker authorized the organization of a Division made up of National Guard units from 26 different states and the District of Columbia. Douglas MacArthur, who at the time was a Major working at the office of the Secretary of War, is credited with saying “The 42nd Division stretches like a Rainbow from one end of America to the other.” MacArthur was instrumental in the formation of the Division and was appointed its Chief of Staff and promoted to Colonel.The 42nd (Rainbow) Division was activated in August 1917 and was assembled at Camp Mills in Long Island NY. Its four infantry regiments were respectively 165th (formerly New York’s 69th); 166th (formerly Ohio’s 4th); 167th (formerly Alabama’s 4th); and 168th (formerly Iowa’s 3rd). War strength of 27,000 was present when the Division paraded for Secretary of War Baker on September 26, 1917. The Division arrived in France in November and December of 1917 and trained in Eastern France until mid-February 1918.
What do you suppose Harry has done now that he needs to be fixed up? My goodness. What do we do with that boy?

Poor Herb, waiting for his Christmas package! 

December 20 [1918]
Dear Mother,
I was beginning to think the mail man had deserted me until I got your letter of November 26th day before yesterday.

So far we’re still in Boxhorn, Luxembourg but I rather expect that we shall move within a week. Where to I don’t know. Otherwise things are exactly the same, except that for two days it has snowed instead of rained.

I was glad to hear that Tom got home at last and to know that he can get around. It seems to me that I must have told you he was engaged to a girl in Syracuse. I know her slightly and I think she is very nice. She seems from a good family not rich but fairly well off.

I was surprised to hear that Ralph Weed is married though I knew of course that he was engaged. I know his wife very well – she was a stenographer in the advertising department when I was there. She’s a very fine girl.

This is for Dad – I’ve read that article about the Marne in the Post and I must say it’s a scream. I don’t believe it was intended for comedy but that’s what it is – low comedy at that. No one should be allowed to write such stuff. From the author’s point of view the war may have been a pink tea affair but she must have seen things from a peculiar angle.

I thought I had told you what happened to Lieutenant Allen but it’s evident I didn’t. he went into the medical service – first aid work with the rainbow division. I think he is probably in Germany with the Rainbow Division.

I had a letter from Mr. Friedman several days ago. He sent me a money order + told me to get myself a Christmas dinner in Paris. (Paris is two days journey from here, by the way.) He also wanted to know when I would be back, says he needs me badly. I wish I could tell him.

I’m quite sure I told you once about our Division – but then you may never have gotten the letter. At any rate it’s the 13th and is one of the best Divisions the French have. It is part of the 21st Army Corps, a crack corps, and at present is with the 5th Army. From June 15th to October 22nd or there abouts we were with Gouraud’s army, the 4th, which broke up the German attack on Rheims + Chalons July 15th. The Section was working then at Suippes about half way between Reims + Chalons. Two regiments of the 13th are Chasseurs (the Blue Devils, you know) and the other two are infantry. Three of the regiments wear the Military Medal fourragère (that’s the colored rope green and yellow twisted over the left shoulder) and the other one has the Croix de Guerre fourragère. The Military Medal fourragère is the next highest honor a regiment can have. It is surpassed only by the Legion of Honor fourragère which is worn only by the Foreign Legion. Before the war Foch commanded the 13th and early in the war he commanded the 21st Corps.

I was hoping that troops would be demobilized according to length of Foreign Service but I read in the “Stars and Stripes” about a lot of ground service aviation men being sent back from England nine days after their arrival. There are also wild articles about a large part of the American army remaining here for perhaps two years but I scarcely think they’ll attempt that. I don’t believe it would be wise.

With Christmas only five days away only three Christmas packages have arrived in the section so far but a great deal can happen in five days so I haven’t begun to worry yet.

There’s only one thing I have to say about Harry at this time and that is go to Dr. Marsh and have himself fixed up if that’s the only way out. I can readily believe that that weighs heavily on his mind and it would be better to get it attended to in some way. Don’t you think so?

With best love to you all and a happy new year.
Your affectionate son,
Herb

Taken from here

No comments:

Post a Comment