Saturday, October 31, 2015

Possible Breakthru on a Photograph (because of Herb's letter home)

The Spanish Flu is some serious stuff... Herb is a little cavalier about it.

Ruth Parker is Herb's cousin, born 1915, and had a tragic life. I should write up her story, though she married, she died at 25 years old. I wish I had that photograph! (Or do I? This photo was sent to me by my cousin Chuck who is a descendant of Ida Lee.)


Either of those little girls could be roughly 3 years old, couldn't they? And I think the woman second from the right is Herb's Mom, Nellie Jane. So if the older girl seated is Olive Lee, (born 1904) and maybe the other child is Margaret, (born 1911) then maybe the woman standing next to the man is Ruth's mother, Edith Cornell. Hmm. I will need to ask my cousin Chuck. BUT, OMG, I think I figured it out. What a triumph!



October 31 (1918)
Dearest Mother,
I had your and Dad’s letters of October 6th and 13th to day – rather good time. Two days ago we received fourth class mail and lo and behold! What should arrive but that package you ordered for me from Wanamaker’s – last May. I think it was. There was in it some carbolic soap, a tooth brush, a tube of toothpaste, a half-pound of hard candy and this paper on which I am writing. That let’s Wanamaker’s out, of course, but I hardly think the experiment worth repeating. The war may be over before I could receive another package, at that rate.

I think I’ve already told you that I won’t be able to get a requisition for any winter clothing. These are all being refused on the ground that such things are supplied by the Q.M. on the Red Cross. As a matter of fact, we’re issued four pairs of heavy socks though they are by no means so good as home made ones. However, I’ve bought a sheepskin coat from one of the boys who wanted to dispose of it, so I don’t believe I shall freeze.

There is, of course, plenty of Spanish grippe over here but so far I’ve escaped all but that touch of it I had while on leave. At present I’m in my usual good health and, you may believe that I’m taking all possible precautions to stay so.

Since my last letter we’ve made two short moves and, at present, I’m living in what was once the Station Agent’s house in a small town on a jerkwater road. It’s a very comfortable place, too, dry – I’m on the second floor and good and warm thanks to a comfortable stove.

I continue to get magazines that Dad sends me pretty regularly. They come in handy, too. I was awfully glad to get that picture of you all – I mean the one taken when you were at Aunt Ida’s. You must have been looking straight at the sun because you do look cross. Ruth is as fat as a button, isn’t she?

It was very fortunate that I told you how I met Ken Lavin, wasn’t it. I can imagine that his mother was greatly relieved to hear he was all right. I know nothing of Herb Blake these days. In fact, the only time I ever saw him was when I first came up to the front.

I haven’t heard from Tom in some time now so I’m hoping that he really has gone back to the U.S.
The last letter I had from Karolyn was written while she was on the train going down to Bridgeport to take up her work there so I am waiting to hear from her to see how she likes it.

With best love to all,
Your affectionate son,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment