Friday, April 3, 2015

Cochon - New Orleans Restaurant - A Review

Cochon: it's about Meat.

And I'm fine with that. I love the Cochon Butcher next door. That's a great place to go for a sandwich and a beer.

But, the other day was my first day in the upscale dining room next door and I thought it was worth going back. They bill themselves as Cajun and Southern Cooking.

They offered a selection of 5 different hard ciders - one doesn't find that all that often.

Given we went early in the day we didn't order as much as we might normally - so 4 small plates between the 2 of us. My husband had the grilled shrimp with roasted cabbage, pickled cauliflower & jalapeno mayo and the smoked pork ribs with watermelon pickle. I figured I should provide my body with some new nutrients, so I had the fried alligator with chili garlic mayonnaise and their very excellent carrot, cauliflower & raisin salad with curry mayonnaise & pecans - made with very frilly mustard greens. The alligator was my attempt to provide my body with new nutrients.... I am not sure I will be doing that again. The waitress described alligator as just like chicken but a little chewier. I would add that in some pieces it did have a bit of a fishiness taste to it as well. So, not my favorite, but not awful. I wonder if my body were able to pull any nutrients out from behind the fried coating....

We figured we should try the desserts, too, so we got their lemon meringue pie and the butterscotch pudding. Both worth it. I haven't had butterscotch in decades, so it was quite a treat.

The chef and owner is Stephen Stryjewski and is described on the web site thusly:

Winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundations “Best Chef South” Stephen Stryjewski is the Chef and co-owner of the award winning Cochon Restaurant in New Orleans’ Warehouse District. Prior to opening Cochon, he worked with his now partner Donald Link at Herbsaint Restaurant where he was recognized for his delicious, simple, straightforward cuisine and his commitment to using local, seasonal ingredients. That commitment has continued through to Butcher, an artisanal meat shop and “sWine Bar” that opened in 2009 focusing on European cured meats and Cajun sausages. This spring Stephen will open Pêche Seafood Grill with his chef partners Donald Link and Ryan Prewitt.
The James Beard Foundation named Cochon a “Best New Restaurant” finalist in 2007. In May 2014 Pêche Seafood Grill won the James Beard Foundation award in that same category, making Pêche the first New Orleans restaurant to receive this honor. Stephen’s cooking has been recognized in the New York Times by Frank Bruni, “Coast to Coast Restaurants that Count”; and Sam Sifton, and “Dishes that Earned their Stars” as well as Best New Chef by New Orleans Magazine; a Chef to Watch by the Times-Picayune; Cochon has been recognized consistently in the Top Ten New Orleans Restaurants in the Times-Picayune Dining Guide and recently named one of the 20 most important restaurants in America by Bon Appétit.
In 1997, Stephen graduated from the Culinary Institute of America and went on to work for some of the most notable chefs and restaurants in America including Michael Chiarello at TraVigne, Jamie Shannon at Commanders Palace, and Jeff Buben at Vidalia. Stephen grew up moving frequently as an “Army Brat” and has traveled extensively in the United States and Europe. He resides in New Orleans’ Irish Channel with his wife and two girls.

We are fans of HerbSaint and Peche, as well. Interesting to see that Steven worked in DC at Vidalia. (I am making that assumption....that it is the Vidalia restaurant in DC.)

I am surprised to see how many of these NOLA chefs are trained at CIA. Those at Rue 127 were also CIA trained. Interesting to know and how lucky for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment