Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Unspeakable Hun

Ok, so I found this for a Louis I Fox:


Wish I had more information about him, as Herb doesn't give us anything to work with. As I think about this... not sure this is the right guy. I mean, why would Herb know a shoemaker 20 years his senior?

Herb is still in Epense.

Perhaps Nellie Jane's trip was to visit her nephew Charles Cornell in Hasbrouk Heights, New Jersey.

And here we have the New York Time's headline on this day...




October 20, 1918
Dear Mother,
The mail of yesterday brought me your letters of September 22nd, and I was very glad to get them as usual.

I had also a letter from Karolyn, one from Harry and one from one Louis I. Fox, whom I take it is Irving Fox, “Louis I” probably being a government camouflage like my “Charles H.” he is with the 17th Field Artillery and I take it, has been here a couple of months or so.

I was glad to hear that you had received the first installment on my allotment. From now on I think you will probably get it every month.

The weather is frightful – it rains most of the time. Of course the sun does come out now and again but not for a long enough time to dry up the mud. And, Lord what mud! If it’s more than an inch or two deep one is apt to find himself stuck tight if he doesn’t keep moving. This is where those rubbers you made me buy last winter come in handy. How I have blessed you for that! Of course I have boots but its awfully hard on my feet to wear them steadily.

Talk of immediate peace has died down but it can’t be very far away. Every day the unspeakable Hun gets another push back towards his own territory and every day he loses fairly heavily in men and materiel. And I’m inclined to think that that will continue practically all winter. I don’t believe Foch intends to lie down and wait for Spring. On the other hand, it’s very difficult to advance in the winter because of the difficulties of transportation and the necessity of providing some shelter for the troops. In the summer one can sleep in the open, but in the winter it’s a different proposition.

Whatever gave you the idea I haven’t heard from Tom? As a matter of fact I’ve had several letters from him.

I sent you my Christmas package slip in my last letter. Hope you get it before it’s too late.

The whole division is still taking a much-needed rest and probably won’t be doing anything for some time to come until it gets back in to shape.

Did I tell you I had a letter from Charles telling me of your visit. He seemed awfully pleased to have had you. He speaks very confidently of having me come in with him when I get back. Says he knows he can work it and that it will be a beautiful opportunity. Certainly it would be a desirable connection but there’s time enough to think of it after the war.

Your affectionate son,

Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment