Thursday, April 9, 2015

Beauvoir in Biloxi, Mississippi

Beauvoir is the coastal home of Jefferson Davis - the president of the Confederacy during the Civil War. It is here that he wrote The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government.


Though the homes/historic structures on the property are quite small, there was once a soldiers home on the property and currently there is the 'Presidential Library.'

 
The main house.
 
One of the out buildings.
The other out building which was used as Jefferson Davis' office.
View from the house to the Gulf.

Here is the library building itself - and inside there are records and muster rolls for Confederate soldiers. I suppose I should check and see what I can learn, as any family members from Texas might be found here.

I had to include this picture because Andrew Kirkpatrick, Jr., fighting for the Union, dies at Fortress Monroe.
And this might be morbid fascination - a death mask. I haven't seen many of these. (How do you suppose they got the plaster out of his beard?)

And who would have thought there would be an over lap of my interest in the Civil War and fiber art... It seems that perhaps Jefferson Davis, a graduate of West Point, came up with the idea to use camels in the American Southwest.

A gravestone for a military camel.

Ok, and finally.... Llamas.... and donkeys, and Shetland ponies, and goats and sheep... these are here to amuse the school children after they have gone through the house and endured the lecture on history. I am including the video I took of the animals chasing a truck in hopes of being fed. Made me laugh out loud, as one can hear. By the way, I was told that the house has acquired a juvenile camel and they are expecting another one soon. I must return soon to meet the new arrivals. How often does one get to be that close to a camel. (Though the llamas were a little skittish.) And can I say...? There is a graveyard on the property for the Confederate soldiers who chose to be buried on site. The tombstones are now carefully arranged, however previously that was not the case. But it made me laugh that the animals are free to wander and contemplate (and poop on) the graves.


One of two llamas
No relation - that I know of.

And finally...

No comments:

Post a Comment