Tuesday, April 14, 2015

3 baths in one week!

Herb is still in Dampierre-sur-Moivre.

Interesting that Herb should mention the subway, as he was working on a bond offering for it before he left for the War.

No huge headline on the front page of the New York Times on this Sunday as Herb sat down to put pen to paper.

Though, while futzing around I found this article from the Brooklyn Daily Eagle on 21 August 1918 about perhaps an associate of Herb's - they were in Allentown together, so it is possible. Seems that Lieutenant Dougherty was awarded the Croix de Guerre.




August 18, 1918
Dear Mother,
Another week has slid by – very quietly this time. Now and again we hear a rumbling from up the line but nothing occurs to destroy the serenity of this village. I have profited by the occasion to get three baths in one week – a regular record.

I shall try to get through to you some time before an order for some things for the winter – some socks, a new sweater (mine is pretty well gone) and a couple of abdominal bands. I’ve never worn those last but I notice most of the French soldiers wear them all the time and I think they would be very practical for the winter.

I don’t think I told you that I had a letter from Mr. Friedman this week. He wanted to know why he hadn’t heard from me. I’d like to know that myself because I’ve been writing him right along.

The war news continues favorable to us, doesn’t it. Provided we only get a decent break in the luck, one may almost hope that we’ve turned the corner.

Little happens from day to day. Since the Division is on rest there are no wounded men. That leaves little but routine camp work, cleaning up and the like. We’ll very likely have all told about two weeks of this and then we’ll be going back into the lines at some other point. Just now the favorite in door sport is guessing what point it will be.

The worst part of it all is the monotony of the small villages and the country as a whole to any one used to living in the city. One misses the crowds and the street cars and the bustle. I almost find myself missing the Subway, though Lord knows there is never much fun in riding on it.

With best love,

Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment