Sunday, October 30, 2016

Paleo People Downed Carbs


Ahhhh, carbs taste delicious... that's the problem... we eat too many of them. Our bodies didn't eat that much through time - it was easier to eat leaves and meat. See this earlier post. Or this one, too. Now I need to go downstairs and eat that salad waiting for me with steelhead so I can get my naturally occurring omega 3s.

The idea is that early humans weren’t as prone to weight gain, cancers, diabetes, heart disease, and other ills that plague the postagricultural world. But as it turns out, cavemen liked their carbohydrates, too. Long before farmers outnumbered foragers, Paleolithic hunter-gatherers painstakingly collected wild oats and used stone tools to make a type of flour, a new study reveals. Paleontologists unearthed an ancient stone from a cave in southeastern Italy that dates back 32,000 years to the Gravettian culture, and to their surprise found residue from wild oats, suggesting the artifact served as a pestle for grinding. The researchers say the flour produced by this process was probably mixed with water to make porridge or flatbread, which would be easier to transport and store during winter. The belief that prehistoric people didn’t eat grain “is just wrong,” the University of Leicester’s Huw Barton tells NationalGeographic.com. “People ate what they could get their hands on. Eating is surviving.”

Another oldie, but goodie. This one also from October of last year - October 9, 2015 edition of the Week Magazine. See what I do for my readers? I save magazine pages for over a year. I guess it also illustrates how I haven't been blogging regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment