Saturday, June 11, 2016

Cheese as medicine

I took this image from here.

OMG, in "Cooked" one of the scientists studying the rinds of cheeses suggested that a day may come, when we understand the microbiome better, that medicine may come in the form of cheese! How brilliant is that? Killed off all your gut bacteria? Just eat Camembert for two weeks and then top it off with a little L'Explorateur. Like the belly button beer, maybe they will harvest some of your gut microbes before you take that course of antibiotics or chemo, harvest some additional microbes from your healthy child and then blend with some rennet and raw milk and voilĂ , you are better than before.

If, as suggested in a podcast I listened to years ago, the combination of microbes (or lack thereof) in our bellies gives us Parkinsons or MS, we might eat some cheese from a healthy donor to clear it right up. I suppose some of the cheeses resulting from this engineered cheese medicine might task more revolting than some of the cheeses considered delicacies around the world.

Looking to find some links to share I came across this criticism of Michael Pollan.  I still remain a fan and I do believe that what we eat is the basis of all our health problems, so I really think we should do what we can to get back to eating the way he suggests, regardless of the time/money because it is cheaper in the long run. I suppose if you push off the cost of health care to the government then the scales are stacked against investing in the food you eat for your own health.

No comments:

Post a Comment