Friday, June 10, 2016

Book Idea - Coureurs-de-Bois

I'm reading Creole New Orleans: Race and Americanization edited by Hirsch and Logsdon. I just started it, but so far, very good. It is a series of essays.

The first essay, by Jerah Johnson, mentions coureurs-de-bois, young men/boys who were sent to live among the indigenous peoples in order to learn the language and customs. I should think a novel or story from the perspective of these young men about the formation of current day Louisiana would be good. And vice versa, as young Indian men went to France. (Mostly this trading of young men occurred with the French settlements in Canada.)

Taken from here


The essay has been very helpful to understand the French policy which explains some of the backstory to what we descendants of the English settlements call the French and Indian Wars. I certainly know about them, but never really understood why the French and Indians were fighting together against the British. 

I don't recall the story of The Last of the Mohicans, but I suppose there might be some overlap in the story context, but with an English sensibility, which I believe was markedly different than the French approach to policy in North America.  

No comments:

Post a Comment