Monday, April 21, 2014

Separated siblings

I read a fabulous blurb in the April 18th edition of The Week Magazine:
After 18 years apart, two long lost sisters have reunited through social media. Nia Edwards, 23, has been searching for her scattered siblings for years. She scoured Facebook, My Space, and Twitter without any luck. In one last effort to reconnect, she downloaded Instagram and was immediately successful. Brenda Edwards has been looking for her sibs as well. "She had followed so many people names Nia Edwards, hoping that one was me," said an overjoyed Nia. "I was so happy that I called my local news station."

What a wonderful story; the internet and social media has been so helpful for genealogy, too. Being Facebook friends with cousins I can add their joyful events to my Family Tree Maker software without having to pester them. (Or, I can easily pester them for the details, and I can copy some of the photographs they post.) I have also 'friended' cousins who I have connected through this genealogical research, so I can have an idea about the lives of third cousins who live many miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment