Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Redoubled Energy (Back with Herb in France)

It's interesting to think about Herb's comment about keeping the war effort going at top speed at home. I am certain he is not referencing what is going through my head... What I think about is food production. I read that the reason we have so many food companies was because during WW2 we had to ship a lot of food to our soldiers and the food had to survive the trip - hence preservatives. And also, once those companies existed, they needed to continue after the war for the jobs they created, so rather than to make women's lives easier with Rice-a-Roni, the reason we have all these manufactured-food companies was to keep the jobs and the assets at work. Scary thought, isn't it? I mean, one can see the logic of the reasoning, but crap, at the expense of our health and family life.

Which of course leads to the next subject which I will not discuss here, but all the technological advances because of war and military.

Anyway... on to different subjects:
Here is the front page of the New York Times as Herb is writing this letter home:



I'm afraid I don't know who Miss McElwee is. The quickest of searches in Ancestry.com didn't find anything.

Chas is Herb's cousin.

Herb's maternal aunt lives in Huntingdon, NY - it's actually Chas' mother who Nellie Jane is going to visit.

August 25 (1918)
Dear Mother,
I had Dad’s letter of July 28 as well as yours yesterday – the first in a week or so.

We’re still taking things easy – though I expect our time is getting pretty short now. We’ve been in rest billets now almost two weeks. The past week has been very hot and close up till yesterday when a good hard rain cooled things off a bit. However it’s been good harvesting weather and the farm people – they’re old men, boys, women and men not fit for service over here – are very busy from early morning till dark getting in grain.

The war news grows steadily better as you know. I’ve seen accounts of wild celebrating in the States over the American’s victory on the Marne. I think people might better save their breath to keep war work at top speed myself. There is no doubt that the Allied machine is steadily growing and will before long be irresistible but the proper time to shout is after the crossing of the Rhine. This is the time or the folks at home to put their shoulders to the wheel with redoubled energy. The wheel has started, right enough, but it’s going to take lots of more pushing to keep increasing its speed.

I was much interested to hear that Miss McElwee had been working at 14 Wall. Are you sure it wasn’t before I left. I was in and out of there quite often and it would seem as if I should have seen at some time or other.

I wish to Pete Chas would write to me, I haven’t had a letter from him in a couple of months or so.

I expect that by now or in a few days at least you will be in Huntingdon. I’d like to be with you. The Sound is such a wonderful place these days.

The last drafts must have taken a good many of the boys around town. It may be that Stan Kling is over here now. I’ve known cases where things moved as fast as that. Wends must be rather deserted these days.

We’re still with the same Division of French. Of course I can’t name it but I can tell you that it’s rather famous and is largely composed of Chasseurs – those smallish chaps in dark blue uniforms and as good as fighting men as there are anywhere. I couldn’t tell you at the time but I think I can now that we were in the thick of it when the Germans advanced across the Marne. It was a very uncomfortable week because we were all running around like mad all over and had the Germans always on our heels. It took about a week to locate all the men and cars and get them together. They were scattered all over the salient (?). Well, the Germans went back faster than they came in so we were revenged, though I should have liked to have been there to see it.

The hot weather made me a bit sick to my stomach for a day or two but that’s over with and I’m feeling very fit.

A few nights ago we celebrated our vacation with a big dinner – quite a nice dinner, too – and a sort of party afterwards. Everyone seemed to enjoy himself.

Your affectionate son,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment