Saturday, January 31, 2015

This Section is Quiet

Pretty great to have a description of the French Camouflage. I like Herb's image of the fat soldiers fitting through.

May 5th (1918)
Dear Mother,
Sunday again! The weeks certainly do slip by at great speed, though the days do often seem pretty long.

The weather has improved quite a bit. This week we have had several fine days when coats were quite unnecessary. To-day, though, it is raining again.

The section continues pretty quiet, every few days there is what the French call a “coup de main” sort of a little night skirmish but that’s about all. Most of the men we’re carrying are sick though now and again there are one or two wounded, usually from shrapnel.

Lately I have seen several of the deserted, ruined villages hereabouts. None of them have been ravaged by the Boches but intermittent hell-fire for heaven knows how many months has done the work just as thoroughly. Here + there is a wall, or more frequently, part of a wall left standing, but everything else is a mixed up pile of stone and plaster.

The most amazing thing, I think, about it all is the perfection that the French have achieved in camouflage. One can stand within a hundred yards of a battery of 75’s and yet not be able to guess where they are, even when they’re in action. From even a few yards a battery may seem to be nothing but a pile of brush and odds and ends. And the dugouts - ! Some of them are elaborate affairs as big as small hotels with so many galleries and passageways that one needs a guide so as not to be lost. Of course, every bit of room must be utilized, so the passages are so narrow that I can’t see how some of the fat soldiers ever get through them. I had a dickens of a time squeezing through them myself.

We read the English papers, they being all we can get and things certainly are looking fine. The Germans are certainly getting enough. Of course no one knows how much longer it will go on but every new American division makes it so much shorter. Let ‘em come.

In the meantime, I’m well and happy so don’t worry about
Your affectionate son,
Herb

I took these photographs of the exhibits at the New York State Military Museum, talked about here. I'm afraid I don't recall where this trench was located; I add it just as an example I saw during my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment