Tuesday, February 24, 2015

"Kids" old enough to be drafted

Tom is, of course, Tom Nial.

Will Groesbeck is another cousin....2nd cousin to Herb, through the Kirkpatricks. Seems William's father died in 1916, so William was taking care of his mother and sisters - at least that is what is written on his draft card. By 1920, though, he is married. It seems he was working at the Watervliet Arsenal.... I suppose that might be the same Arsenal that Herb talks about for his brother Harry. I suppose Cousin William was doing his part for the war effort by being a machinist at the Arsenal.



I still don't know who the Whites are.... Friends from Troy, certainly. (I have been researching my German heritage and that has been taking up a ton of my time... No excuses, but that's my excuse. Hopefully I will write a bit about them some time soon.)

Mr. Friedman is Herb's former supervisor at Case Pomeroy on Wall Street.

Makes me smile to know that Herb liked Rag Time music, but sorry that he is feeling melancholy due to homesickness. Poor Herb.


June 30, 1918
Dearest Mother,

News are scarce as usual. I got your letter written June 10th to-day – a pretty good record.

Those clippings of the open draft quotas were certainly revelations. I noticed the names of so many “kids” I had known. It took me several minutes to realize that they are all old enough to be vote [sic]. I must be growing older myself.

The package Dad had sent for me hasn’t shown up yet. I’ll let you know as soon as it does. It was mighty good of him to go to all that trouble.

A whole gang of Americans came in here last night. It certainly seems good to see them. There was a regimental band with them and we’ve been promised some real American rag time this evening.

I was glad to hear from you that Tom seems to be getting along nicely. I’ve written him.

Did I tell you that had a very nice letter from Mr. Friedman and one from Mrs. Friedman too. He writes that he expects to be over here in the fall but doesn’t say in what capacity.

By the way, how does Will Groesbeck stay out of the draft?

The Whites are certainly in it pretty deep aren’t they [sic]. Still, it’s something that can’t be helped and I know Mrs. White would rather have it that way than to have all the boys ducking it. She’s a fine woman.

Your affectionate son,
Herb

No comments:

Post a Comment