Saturday, February 7, 2015

Arthur K. Drake


I have discovered that Mr. Drake did survive and I believe he went on to marry and have children. I am letting the information I added to Ancestry.com percolate so maybe some more green leaves will start shaking at me.

I gathered these images from the Ancestry page:

We can see he is from Bay Shore, Long Island in Suffolk County. He claims he was rejected by the Naval Reserves. And we can also see that he helps support his mother.

Arthur was captured, as we already know from Herb's report, but we see that he was released in December 1918. He seems to have spent a fair amount of time in the hospital. I suppose we will never know exactly what happened to brave Mr. Arthur K. Drake; maybe a relative of Mr. Drake's will see this posts and make a comment. Wouldn't that be grand?


It seems Mr. Drake came from a large family. I see this from the census documents. I wonder what his letters home looked like? I wonder what he talked about in his letters. I wonder if his brothers got in to any trouble that Arthur needed to straighten out. I wonder if he sent money home to help support the family. (I think Arthur might have been the youngest.) I wonder what he and Herb would talk about. Were they close? Was Arthur a nice, kind man or a bully? (Was Herb a bully, for all that matter? I suspect not, but that may be a bias on my part.) I suppose I will never know the answer to these questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment