Saturday, August 5, 2017

Childfree women

Hmmm. what does this say about American women?

I just heard a story on the radio which I can't seem to find to link here about Japanese women who are forgoing sex altogether. They have decided they are happier on their own than teaming up with Japanese men.

I suppose that's an even stronger message to 'the powers that be'. I imagine that message is giving the negative birth-rate Japanese government conniption fits. And maybe that is why we are having reboots of movies like 'The Handmaids Tale'.

For the first time in recorded history, more than half (54 percent) of American women ages 25 to 29 are childless, according to the U.S. Census Fertility Report. A record 31 percent of women ages 30 to 34 also haven’t given birth.

Wait, why do you suppose they used the language 'childless' and then 'haven't given birth'? Those might be different things? Abortion... adoption... abstinence.... all of the above, I suppose.

And what does this do to the family tree? I guess I should know, being both a genealogist and childfree.

May 26, 2017 The Week Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment