Monday, July 24, 2017

Olive oil boosts the brain


Enough to negate this health scare?

I am always so concerned because they say not to cook with olive oil, so I cook with coconut oil, bacon fat, ghee or other saturated fats. I wonder what I am doing to myself. I guess I'll need to report in real time when and if I decline... or maybe my writing will be the proof of that.

Nutritionists have long touted the heart-healthy benefits of olive oil, but a new study suggests this “superfood” and its powerful antioxidants may also act to protect the brain from tumors. Researchers at the University of Edinburgh homed in on a key ingredient in olive oil, known as oleic acid. The team performed tests on living cells and human cell extracts to assess the effects of this fatty acid on a brain molecule, called microRNA-7, that helps stop the growth of tumors. They found that oleic acid prevents a protein, known as MSI2, from halting the production of microRNA-7. By indirectly supporting this tumor-blocking molecule, oleic acid may ultimately help prevent the growth and spread of cancer, reports NatureWorldNews.com. “Our findings do suggest that oleic acid can support the production of tumor-suppressing molecules in cells grown in the lab,” says lead author Gracjan Michlewski. “Further studies could help determine the role that olive oil might have in brain health.”

Taken from the June 30, 2017 rint edition of the Week Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment