Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Missing Microbes - by Dr. Martin Blaser

Wow is all I can say. The premise is that we have wiped out all the good microbes along with the pathogens in both our bodies and our environment through antibiotics, mostly. Dr. Blaser is suggesting/hypothesizing that our recent chronic diseases are a result of our badly made choice to declare war on the microbes in our environment.

I like the idea that microbes are even more important than us... I mean, just think, we came from primordial ooze, why would we think they are somehow fewer or less important that we are? Apparently we have 10 times as many microbe cells on and in our bodies than we do human cells. I remember being struck by the fact that if we removed the fecal matter from our digestive tracks we would learn that the microbes in our GI tract weigh as much as our brains... suggesting, they are as important an organ to our survival as our brains... I liked that idea.

It was also suggested that perhaps it is the microbes in and on our bodies that 'made' us human... That combination of microbes allowed us to evolve in this manner.... I like that idea, too.


We have explored/discussed microbes and health in a few other places:
Here, for example about mood and digestion.
here, in the very first month of writing my blog about health, travel, genealogy and fiber art.
And here, where we discuss gluten, but ignore what Dr. Blaser has suggested about the fact that perhaps we are killing the microbes which can process the gluten in our systems.

All I know is that I am going to do my best now to eat more fermented vegetables/foods to reintroduce some beneficial microbes, not going to wash my hands as often (some people think that is so gross, but if I know I have been around someone who is fighting a cold/sick I will wash my hands), I will add some prebiotics to my diet,  What else???? Hmmm. I may be crazy, but I am a one person army to reintroduce healthy microbes in to my world and that of my family... whether they want them or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment