Friday, May 2, 2014

The Real Paleo Diet

As you have figured out, readers, I get my news from the Week Magazine. (I don't watch TV news, but I do listen to NPR. Now you know everything about me and my outlook on the world, I'm afraid.)

At the end of each edition they do a longer story called "The last word" and at the beginning of March they printed an excerpt from an article by Daniella Martin at Amazon Publishing/New Harvest. The author indicates that "if you really want to copy our early ancestors' diet, you should be eating lots of bugs." She asserts that insects are a much higher quality food than leaves and even nuts.

A favorite restaurant of mine does have grasshopper/cricket tacos on the menu. When in Mexico, I did try some salt blended with grasshoppers. But I can't quite do it. The last time we got overrun with cicadas, plenty of people talked about preparing them for dinner. Just a couple of weeks ago a caller asked Lynn Rosssett Kasper how to prepare the grasshoppers which were overrunning his Texas ranch. I don't recall her response, though all I could think of was how he was going to capture enough for a meal. They discussed if any part of the insect needed to be removed - the answer was no - and also if they should be washed. Now, how does one go about washing a bunch of insects? Seriously? WAIT, now I remember visiting the bird market in Hong Kong. There I think they removed all the wings, though the insects survived the amputation. But those insects were for the birds, not people. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if in China the grasshoppers were also enjoyed by humans.

I guess I am not yet ready for this ingredient in my diet.



No comments:

Post a Comment