Sunday, May 11, 2014

Memories of Coffee

I was reading my favorite magazine again, The Week, and they had an article on Coffee. Well, caffeine, really, but it made me think of my dad. (And here we are on mother's day, I should be relaying a story about her...)

My father did serve during WWII; he was in the Navy. Perhaps he developed his enjoyment of coffee and/or caffeine during that period along with the rest of the soldiers and sailors.
American coffee consumption peaked in the World War II years. Back then, coffee was flat-out winning in the competition against other beverages. Americans drank 46 gallons annually — nearly 20 pounds of beans per person.
But what I remember mostly about my dad is that he always had a cup of black coffee - and his teeth were stained with it (and with smoking, I guess) - but in restaurants whenever he ordered a cup of coffee he would ask for a packet of Sanka on the side. I guess he liked it stronger - like the Navy's coffee, maybe - because I believe Sanka was instant decaffeinated coffee. That is always something I will associate with my Dad.

I miss you, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment